Who Do You Think you Are? Sarah Jessica Parker
- She realized the show was simplified for all of the work that actually went into researching Sarah Jessica Parker's ancestry.
- She felt it was rather misleading for those who may wish to become involved in genealogy as they would expect a quick payoff.
- She felt it was good entertainment for television
- She also felt they did a good job of trying to "rope people in" and get involved in their personal genealogy.
- She felt the stories were incredible.
- She wished the program shared resources on where to go to start researching. (She was totally unaware that libraries come in to play at all!)
She enjoyed the show! I don't feel she would drop everything to start researching her own ancestry. I tend to think though that she doesn't feel the need to do so herself because she already has me doing work for her. I didn't have the opportunity to ask her if she planned on watching any of the future shows once she returned home. I will have to get that question to her, I am curious. I did see quickly this morning that one of the future shows is suppose to be "more compelling than all of the others. I shared this with her telling her what I felt it may entail. For this reason and after watching last night, I do wonder if she will tune into future shows.
My personal feelings? I loved it! The show kept me very interested and I didn't have to be doing something else as I watched. Of course the story lines were fantastic, this makes good TV watching. We all love to hear a great story! I enjoyed that Sarah Jessica Parker traveled to the places her ancestors lived and she was able to "feel" emotions about them and their lives. Sharing the steps Sarah made following patterns of her ancestors is very similar to what real genealogists do.
I agree with my sister, so much of research has to be condensed for TV. Because of the program, my sister and I discussed our personal genealogy more than we may have otherwise. I enjoyed that so much! Bottom line, I feel if the stories stay as compelling as last night, it will be a hit. After all, this isn't suppose to a class on doing genealogy, it is a program, which is to be entertaining. As an added bonus it may also introduce others to genealogy. I personally can't wait for the future shows!
I am off to find out how the show was rated and see what other genealogists posted regarding the program. Please feel free to share your feelings in the comments section! Watch out, depending on what I read, you may see a follow up to this post...
Thanks for stopping by!
Wishing you success in all of your genealogical treasure hunts!